Monday, November 17, 2008

Obsessive

More and more, I lean toward a self-diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Now, laughing at me is not nice, for those who know me (and are probably screaming "YA THINK?!").

Seriously, lately, I just am able to clear up my mirror image of myself. There are some things that I am clearly not compulsive about (anymore). Laundry, for example, or keeping an overly-tidy house. School is also taking a back seat in my compulsion list. However, food and these stinking books by Stephanie Meyer...crazy compulsive.

On the food front, I finally realized that I am battling something far larger than just needing to diet. I have dieted, and dieted, and dieted. Over and over to no avail. I have been doing a lot of reading about compulsive overeating, and how a diet will not help. It seems especially related to PCOS, which I have. Anyway, more on that as I obsessively search the Internet.

What is with these Twilight books? At first, I scoffed. There was no WAY I was going to read a 500 page book for "fun," and there was NO Bleeping WAY I was going to read four of them. Lo, and behold. I just finished Eclipse tonight. That leaves Breaking Dawn. I will not open that thing tonight, I SWEAR.

SPOLIER ALERT. Do not read on if you intend to read the series.

So seriously, these books. They revolve around a main character, Bella, and her love interests. Her main love is Edward Cullen, your modern-day "good" vampire. She has some latent feelings for her "friend," Jacob Black, a vampire-loathing werewolf. Now, right there, reading the plot, one would think, "Why would JoLynn read this crap?" Seriously, I reread the sentences above, and they sound ridiculous. I think two vital elements bring these books to the level of addiction for me. First, I think all grown women like to think back to when they were 17-18 and had the whole world ahead of them. If there were love interests in their lives at the time, most women can really identify with Bella and her angst. Well, sort of, in a non-vampire way. Second, I keep shouting at the books. Meyer makes me mad with the plot in New Moon. Oooh, I was so mad. The depth of Bella's pain at being left by Edward... anyone who experienced a breakup when young knows the depth of that pain. Plus, it was Edward! He was not supposed to leave the love of his existence! I recall reading this late at night and just being ticked that I would not be getting any sleep. I could not "leave" Bella that catatonic. She had to dig herself out of this. Enter Jacob Black.
Poor, used Jacob. Bella... love the beautiful vampire or love the dorky werewolf... why was this a choice? Yet, in Eclipse, she claims her love for Jacob... and Edward? She made me so mad. BUT, that's the beauty of this writing. She's 18, not 39. She is seeing life as an 18 year old. And she's ticking me off.
Edward, on the other hand, has become my favorite character. He is the king of cool. Truly. I don't know if that was Meyer's intention, but she definitely makes Edward an absolute treasure of a guy. He is devoted to Bella to the point of being willing to give her up to Jacob if that's what she truly wants.
In Eclipse, Edward proposes to Bella... and she makes this whole big stink about not wanting to get married. Again, I am 39, she's supposed to be 18. What an idiot. Yet Edward is so patient and protective of her, killing an evil vampire who seeks her death. She is so not worthy.
OK, done with my fantasy world. Glad I got that off of my chest. What a nutcase!

1 comment:

SCC JPIC Blog said...

I didn't read the spoiler, in case I want to read the book. But, if you're now into reading 500-page books. read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, a recent Oprah pick and a good book. I'm almost done. Regarding your OCD-ness -- get a grip woman! Nothing's more important than reading fiction!