Sunday, July 12, 2009

What's new in the land of diet and exercise...


Well, here we are three weeks before August. Some lessons I learned:

1. Depression apparently is the enemy of healthy weight.
2. Depression meds are, apparently, part of the enemy forces.
3. Jumping in to a heavy-duty exercise program would have been OK if I wasn't working at the same time. Too much fatigue for both parents.
4. Supplements may or may not be helpful. I have to take them long enough to make a definite conclusion.

So, tomorrow, I will begin a new regimen geared more to the fact that I am almost 40 and fighting some demons that I didn't necessarily fight "back in the day."

EXERCISE: I am using the Slim in 6 program. This program starts off very basic and allows you to move up when you feel you have mastered basic moves. I am not doing the dieting part of Slim in 6, as some of its tenets were recipes for failure for me. For example, it suggests that you do a two day fast before starting the program. Yeah, that will not work. Also, they recommend a slew of supplements. Went that route before, too. I'll just be completing the exercise portion of the workout. Slim in 6 is based on the idea that, in 6 weeks, you'll be slimmer than you are now. Of course, in advertising, they show dramatic results. These are people who, undoubtedly, went whole "hog" with the diet, supplements, meal replacement drinks, etc. I will just be happy to be back in a good place with my motivation.

DIET: I will be using Complete Nutrition's Reveal program. I like the idea that the company notices that older people need different supplements and that different times of the day require different nutrients. I will also be attempting to consume their SMART smoothies. These protein smoothies are supposed to be quite good and high in good protein and (good) cholesterol.

Should be interesting since I start a week of technology training tomorrow. At least my mind will be busy. For day 1, I'll take the makings of a smoothie with me, but if that doesn't work well, I will just eat the regular lunch on Tuesday. I'm trying not to do a lot of huge sacrificing, as that has backfired on me in the past. As I eat, I am just going to try to half the portions I would normally take. That's a huge step! I will, however, try to avoid excess sugar. That was a major portion of my diet, and it was dragging me down. I won't avoid it all together, but I want to be more conscious of how much of it I am eating and drinking.

Speaking of drinking, many programs advise against diet drinks. We'll see how that goes. I do have my occasional diet beverage, so I don't think I'll have to worry too much about that. I will be a LOT more conscious of getting in my water, though.

So, that's all for now. We shall see how this goes. Both programs have gotten really good results, so I look forward to a hybrid approach.

No comments: