Friday, July 16, 2010

A "Disney" World, No Tab Aftertaste

When Ignatius was 5, we went on our first family trip to DisneyWorld in Orlando.  It was such a good time.  Every person with whom we had contact had the same demeanor: it was ALL about the customer.  The customer was, truly, always right. 

We came to find that we were being charged mini-bar charges for our room, yet we were not using the mini-bar.  We went to the consierge and explained the situation.  He did not have to believe us.  The person who checked the mini-bar each day could have been called and questioned to be sure we were on the up-and-up.

His response was, "I am so sorry, ma'am. We will take these charges off your bill immediately."  From that point on, for the last 8 years, we have shared this story.  Talk about handling things well on the business end.

Now I know that Disney is a large enough company that they can take the hit for dishonest customers.  And I know people might be able to share some, not so fuzzy, stories about Disney.  But, firsthand, I witnessed what it felt like to be on the other end of great customer service.

For many years, I had jobs where I was trained along the "company line" in customer service.  Never was I trained to deflect the issue back onto the customer.  Even when I had customers who "bought" expensive dresses, wore them for an occasion, and returned them, I was trained to take the items back and make the customer happy.  I did as I was trained.  The customer is always right.

So, there are those who might be wondering why this iPhone4 issue is working my last nerve.  Yes, there are pitfalls to all cell phones.  I am an AT&T customer, I get that.  And yes, the iPhone4 is a delightful, smart phone.  The display is crystal clear.  It takes wonderful photos and video.  I appreciate having 3G.  Face Time is cool (with my husband), though I don't see me using it too regularly.  It's amazing technology.

A big thing was amiss, however.  When presented with this big thing, the 3 million people who bought the phone were not greeted with, "I'm sorry, ma'am.  We will fix the issue right away."  We were made to believe that:
-we were holding the phone "incorrectly"
-we needed a software upgrade
-calls weren't REALLY dropping; we just were not aware of our reception at the time
-there is a fix, but it will cost you $29
-there's not a problem
-if there is an issue, put some tape over the antenna--that will solve the non-problem

Then, finally, 4 weeks later, in an orchestrated "press" conference I hear:
-Apple's not the only one; all cell phones have antenna issues (oh, now there's an antenna issue?)
-less than 1% of the buyers called to complain (that amounts to about 15,000 complaints; I did not call to complain, as I figured I would be greeted with the same party line that the company mouthpiece was giving the press)
-but, my goodness, data shows that calls ARE dropping
-OK, we don't really believe there's an issue (we're victims of "Antenna-gate"; feel sorry for us), but we just want our customers happy (to shut up)
-so, everyone is getting a case

My issue is not with my iPhone.  No way.  Too many people went in to making a really great idea.  I daresay, my problem isn't even really with "Apple."

Yes, Steve Jobs, my problem is with you.  This entire thing could have been diffused by you.  You would have looked like a superhero by simply saying, "Woe, there's an issue here.  Let's do right by our customers."  In fact, I would have lauded you from this lowly blog for doing just that.

Instead, you acted like a tired parent, so weary from his toddler's persistent whining, that he gives in.  Your customers are some of the smartest people in the world, sir.  Don't treat us like village idiots.

Thanks for the case.  I appreciate that the company is making good.  It's kind of like the experience of drinking a Tab, though.  At first, bubbly and seemingly sweet and familiar, but leaves a terrible after taste.

Now I am sure some devout Apple-lover is going to argue with me about Tab, right?  Bring it.

2 comments:

Duo Haptism said...

A comment about TAB? Well I can't really comment about TAB because well i've never really tasted it, but I can comment on things Apple.

One thing I do know of Apple is that they will always fix a problem IF it does exist. You know what people should have done instead of bitching about the problem? Called Apple or returned the phone. If people would have done that, Apple probably would have taken it more seriously. It's only been 22 days since the release of the phone, you have 8 more days to return it. That being said, one thing I know about Apple is that they don't do knee jerk reactions, they test and get the numbers, thus it takes time.

Oh yeah also the early reviews of the iPhone 4 actually mentioned the problem, and that Apple was already working on the fix. http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100622/apple-iphone4-review/ I'm a huge Apple fan but upon reading that review, I knew I wasn't getting the phone until the problem was fixed, or the second generation of it was out.

On the subject of customer service, Apple is the 18th highest rated customer service in the world. Yes, even higher than Disney, another company Jobs owns a large percentage of, thanks to the sale of Pixar. http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/customer_satisfaction.html Apple always tries to find the correct solution to the problem not a quick fix.

My first experience with apple customer service was with my iBook (yeah the OLD white laptop, not the new iphone app). 3 years after I purchased it the video started to weird on me. I thought, "Oh well it's old I'll just have to deal with it till I can get a new one". I then, 3~5 months later, got an e-mail from Apple saying that certain iBooks had a video card issue, and my iBook may be one with this problem. So I went on the website check my serial, and yep it was. I was then like "Well, I didn't buy the Apple Care so it's not covered". How wrong I was, not only was it covered almost 4 years after I purchased it, they replaced the logic board (Apple's version of a Mother Board) not once, but twice. No charge to me for either replacement, not even for mailing it in.

Now, with my experience with Apple up to this date, I knew they would either give you a free case (not only a free case, but a selection of cases, not just the bumpers they make), or do a replacement program for the antenna of the phone (I'm still not certain they won't do that).

While yes, I agree with you that there is a problem, I do firmly stand by Apple with how they handled it. They take the time to make certain the fix is what is needed and it truly works. Yes, they could have given out the bumpers day one, but what if that didn't fix the problem? Then not only did they not fix the problem they then generated an extra expense that truly would not have been needed. That and they still can't produce enough bumpers to keep up with demand.

Oh yeah it has not been "4 weeks later"... that would be 28 days... you over shot that by 6 days....

JoLynn said...

Thanks for the comment. You speak a lot about Apple. I spoke a lot about Steve Jobs. I am a repeat iPhone buyer. I do not appreciate that the front man was treating customers as if they were crazy. The problem existed. 15,000 people called them.

Return the phone. Hmm. That would be fine if I actually had another one. My cell is my main phone. My previous transition to iphone gave me no indication that I should not have confidence in the transition. Plus, I did one of the half-assed solutions that was posted. $200 later, I had a phone with duct tape on it. Smooth.

Glad you had good experiences with Apple. I have not complained about them until their head made his God complex quite clear.