Saturday, July 5, 2008

"Every Day is the Fourth of July!"

Does anyone remember that song from Rudolph's Shiny New Year? Every Fourth of July, that song goes on and on in my head. I don't know any other words. Basically, the context has Rudolph traveling through time to find the Baby New Year before the new year begins. Baby New Year was born with great big ears. When people laugh at him, he leaves that place in sadness.

One of the places he visits is a land where it is always Independence Day, 1776. They sing this song when he is there. He is having a lovely time when, alas, the flag comes down the street during the parade and everyone wearing a hat takes it off. Out come the ears, and the laughter, and poor Baby New Year is again off in sadness. However, before then, the song is so happy!

Segue to my Ode to July 4th. I love July 4th. It's the smack dab in the middle of summer holiday. Many people are either genuinely happy or drunk. The weather is ideally nice and hot. Cook outs... sparklers... fireworks. Ah.

Here are pics from our July 4, 2008. The window cleaning shows were too funny to pass up. Max wanted to help his dad. His face when he's squirting the Windex is hysterical, in my humble opinion. The rest pretty much speak for themselves. The car shots show the fam as we watch fireworks. We were at a spot in town where we could see four different huge fireworks displays. I missed the big booms (I know... knowing me as a six year old you're as shocked about that statement as you are that I actually eat onions now, too). Scott disagrees. And of course, there were the idiots, I mean, "patriots," in my 'hood who bought way too many fireworks from God- knows-where (they're not "sold" in IL). Otto was given some doggy Prozac for the night.

I hope your Fourth was at least relaxing.


No comments: