Friday, July 4, 2008

"...like a big boy"

For some reason, this teaser works for many things in Max's life. Lately, it has worked beautifully for potty training. He will "pee pee" or "poopie on the potty like a big boy." Incentive enough. He has been doing a lot better with this. Also, he wants to sleep in his "ni-night room like a big boy." So, I start my Independence Day with this entry about Max's recent independence.

He starts summer school on Monday. As part of his IEP, we agreed, even before he started Early Childhood in the district, that he would attend summer school to keep that routine of going to school. It's hard, as after our trip I really just wanted to keep him home. However, it is in his best interest. Also, the kid loves riding the bus. It is in a different school with a different teacher, so I am crossing my fingers that all goes well.

He will be seeing a pediatric neurologist in September. This was in response to his learning of things and then seemingly "losing" them. In the last few days, his color recognition has flourished. He recognized that the letters on my shirt were pink. He noticed on Wednesday that not only was there a red letter on his shirt, but he could name the letter: U! It is things like this that we pray he "keeps."

He's also started a new routine. It all started with early morning brightness. Scott woke up Monday thinking it was later than it was because the sun rose with a certain brightness that day that jarred his biological clock. He decided to go in to work and come back and get Max for day care (Max loves going with his daddy. I could not intefere with that if I tried.). This has worked wonderfully. Max and I sleep a little longer, and Max is able to be slowly and playfully nudged awake. Scott can head off to work relatively stress-free for about an hour. Max's disposition since he started with this has been great. The transition at his day care has been quite calm.

As for me and my elementary job hunt, it seems to have slowed. There's really only one elementary from which I await news. The job option there is waiting on funding. So, I continue with my summer as if I will be back in sixth grade. Not such a bad gig, in my humble opinion. With this new morning routine, we might be OK with a 7:45 start time for me. We shall see. I will be where I am supposed to be. I am really happy with either prospect. I teach in a great district.

No comments: