Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Yeah, but...

Every now and then, as the parent of a student with an IEP, I receive a progress report that shows Max's goals and how he is doing with them. A little report card.

One would think, being the data queen that I am, that this information would make me happy. And logically, it should. However, it is also a stark smack in the face with the reality stick. He is functioning at the 36 month level. He is 56 months old.

Now, I KNOW he has had the same span of deficit since we started intervention. And I also know that, without intervention, he would have had, perhaps, a larger gap. But it doesn't make it any easier to look at. As I looked through Ignatius' childhood records, he was always above where he needed to be... no worries, except how to challenge him. I know... apples and oranges...

So, it is still somewhat of a mystery to me as to whether or not Kindergarten will happen next fall. His teacher seemed to think it was in the realm of possibility. But he will probably be a year behind academically/socially... so how do you know?

Deep thoughts... back to grading for me!

No comments: