Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Is there some sort of spray for that?


Yes, I know it sounds bizarre. And yes, I know it has some variables, as it is dealing with the human condition, which is neither stable nor completely predictable. Still, after months of considering this, I have finally purchased and started using a bodybugg. The idea behind the bodybugg
is that, during your waking hours, you wear an armband. This armband has sensors that detect, in essence:
  • motion
  • heat flux (release)
  • electric current on skin surface
  • skin temperature
Using these four main components, the bodybugg records your caloric output--the amount of calories you burn. It includes the stuff of being alive and upright--getting dressed, doing things around the house, sleeping, and the like. When I awoke, it estimated that, between 12 AM and 7:30 AM, I expended about 640 calories. From the time I put the band on until now (about 8 hours), just doing "stuff," it has recorded a 1000 calorie expenditure. I have not formally "worked out," other than doing a set of 20 sit ups for a Facebook challenge (which expended less than 100 calories).

Along with the band, I also purchased a display which can be worn as a clip or a watch. Without the display, I would have to hook the bodybugg up via USB to my laptop and gather this information. The display refreshes every 60 seconds, and tells you calories burned, steps taken, activity, and the like (I wish it did heart rate) for today or yesterday (when I have worn it more than one day). It's synced to the armband. You don't need the watch, but it's nice to have the info right there.

At the end of my day today, I will sync the armband with the website. Throughout the day, I have entered calories consumed on the site. Data will be transferred to determine a calorie deficit. The science behind this is, if you have a 500 calorie deficit per day, you will be setting yourself up for a 1-lb per week weight loss. It's a measuring device to help you track what was not so easy to track before... how many calories you were actually burning.

So, we shall see. Having the bodybugg does not make weight come off. It's a way to keep yourself accountable. I have been doing activity for months, but I have not been keeping myself accountable about what I am eating as much as I could. This is the next step. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: