Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Well, that went well!

My meeting at my parish this morning went really well.  The outcome is that we will be doing an "all call" for parents in the parish who wish to meet about a new ministry to parents of children with special needs.  We will be meeting on February 5 at 10 AM at St. Patrick's of Merna. 

I met with Fr. Jerry, Becky, and Sr. Rita, and the things I was praying for last night truly did occur.  I learned that there are options with our parish school of religion for students with special needs, and that there is a SPEC program at Holy Trinity Church.  I spent some time relating different things that occur with the boys that stray from the typical (I mentioned about Ignatius' serving experiences and anxiety and his anxiety relating to Confirmation).  We discussed some things regarding Max's needs and how some of the parish outreach (like Vacation Bible School and Kid Spot) can be somewhat overstimulating because of the sheer number of children involved.  From several of the comments made. I really felt as though they would be very helpful in helping Scott and me decide how to proceed with Max's schooling in the Catholic faith.  Fr. Jerry was appreciative of my wanting to share these things, and it seemed to really open his eyes to the need for outreach to parents. 

So, onward I go.  I am creating a bulletin announcement for the next couple of weeks, and touching base with some of the persons suggested to me regarding the direction we take with this.  Prayers are still welcome! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! Sounds great!!

Anonymous said...

Nice! So happy to hear this. I can't wait to see what lies ahead and what will be accomplished through you!

Trish said...

Hi there - I just clicked over from Autism from the Lighter Side and found your blog. How wonderful that you are seeing a willingness within your parish to work with your son's individual needs. It is so sad whenever I hear of families who do not feel welcome at church anymore.

Unknown said...

JoLynn~I saw the announcement in the bulletin!! Yay!!