Friday, October 17, 2008

Am I right or just old?

So, my friend has a student teacher this year with a few characteristics that I find disturbing:

1. She has to be told what to do. Everything. This is a person who expects to hold, and keep, a teaching position in less than a year. And sometimes, she clearly does not do what she is instructed to do.

2. She texts in the classroom. Constantly. She stopped helping a student so she could answer a text.

3. She is on the Internet constantly. She gets on You Tube and or EBay and allows the children to watch her.

So, what's my problem? I mean, she's not MY student teacher, right? Here comes the soapbox.

Why isn't it common sense that these behaviors are COMPLETELY inappropriate? Why must someone, who is offering her time, talents, and (way too much) patience be in a situation where she must discipline this young woman like she must discipline her middle level students? HOW IS IT that ISU (sorry guys, you had this coming) allows people with this lack of adequate judgment into the classrooms? I wish I could say she is the only one doing this, but, apparently, several student teachers this year have these issues.

Now my question is... did someone redefine "work ethic" while I was sleeping? I am not ignorant enough to try to hold ANYONE to my work ethic... it's not healthy. Mine is... work supersedes all. Someone is paying me, and I owe him to do my job the best way I am able. That has led me into depression. It is not what I am espousing.

What I am espousing is an honest day's wages for an honest day's work. Yes, student teaching is one of the "internships" in life that is not compensated through a paycheck. Get used to it. You are a public servant. If that bothers you, seriously consider another, more lucrative, career. And best of luck in the current economy. If teachers were driven by money, NONE OF US WOULD DO THIS. Case in point, if my husband (in the corporate world) has one, hour-long presentation to give, he takes sometimes several days to prepare. On a Friday, I have 30 minutes of "prep" time for an entire day. I "give" myself 40 more minutes because I choose to work through my lunch. I am prepping for five times as much as he, yet my prep is EXPECTED to take place outside of my contractual day. If it wasn't, there is no way I could do it. And that does not include maintaining contact with parents, which must also take place when I am not teaching their children.

So, if you are 21 years old and already coming in to the profession already lazy as hell, would you do us all a favor and please leave? We don't need you. We don't want you. Kids DESERVE better.

End of soapbox. Thanks for listening! So am I right, or am I sounding like an old fart? You decide.

No comments: