Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Elie Wiesel

I never read the morning paper. I am typically too rushed, or I just do not care to start my day in that way. This morning, for some reason, I got it off the porch and read it during my breakfast.

There was an ad for a speaking engagement for Elie Wiesel (pronounced ellie vee sell), Nazi death camp survivor, author, teacher, and Nobel Prize winner. He was set to speak at Illinois State University at 7 PM tonight.

I was beyond excited. I had heard him speak when he was on Oprah. That compelled me to read his book, Night, chronicling this horrific time in his life. This seemed like it was too good to pass up.

So many things got in my way today. Students testing my last available nerve, helping my son with his homework, a rainy night. When I finally convinced myself that I had NO other option than to go, despite what else was happening or what my mood was, I was stuck in crazy traffic and parking conditions at ISU. Apparently, they had not prepared for how popular this particular speaker would be. I was about to turn around and go home, when, there, about three blocks from Braden Auditorium, was a parking space. Another sign? I'll let you decide.

When I finally entered Bone Student Center, people were filing up to the third floor mezzanine. When I got there, the word was... no seats. I wasn't surprised... another road block in my day. It was becoming pretty typical and almost comical. Having gone by myself, however, was very beneficial, because I was able to secure a seat.

For the next 45-50 minutes, I was able to hear Mr. Wiesel speak. That is when I knew why I was there.

He got me. He understood me. He would not be dismissive of some of the things that people so easily dismiss about me. A validation moment. Here are some notes I took on the back cover of my copy of Night. [I was in line to get it signed when he had to stop. That part was not meant to be.]

~He identifies with victims. He feels he is called to turn their tears into tales.
~Violence begins when language fails.
~Racism is stupid.
~He was never ashamed of being Jewish. When he visited the South in 1956, he was ashamed of being white.
~Much of the German military was composed of degreed men. Where did education fail in Germany?
~Without education, we forget the meaning of our endeavors.
~Religion is not the cause of the ills of the world. If you look at Stalin and Hitler, neither included religion as part of his campaign.
~Fanaticism is dangerous in any area.
~What do we do when a fanatic gains power?
~Current example: Iran's leader, Ahmadinejad. Mr. Wiesel believes he should be shunned. No university should have him as an honored guest. He is the epitome of fanatical evil.
~As long as someone is not free, my freedom is in danger. (This reminded me of one of my favorite MLK quotes: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.")
~One should not stand idly by.
~He made a strong point that indifference is not an option. He called it the opposite of love, the opposite of education, the opposite of beauty.
~There is a shame of hunger... if someone is hungry, I should feel ashamed.
~We have the right to doubt.
~Information must be translated into knowledge. Knowledge must be transformed into sensitivity. Sensitivity must be transformed into commitment.
~His left us with two things: Think higher. Feel deeper.

Two standing ovations. What an outstanding man. I am honored to have been in his audience.

1 comment:

Karen Kelly said...

What a phenomenal experience. I'm so glad to at least read about it.