Saturday, June 28, 2008

Say this one three times fast

Grade III Anaplastic Astrocytoma. Right hemisphere. That is a type of (malignant) brain cancer with which my dear friend, Marilyn, was recently diagnosed.

I met Marilyn in 1992. I was 23 years old and fresh out of my first year of teaching. I had married and moved 850 miles away from most of my family. Scott traveled a lot, and I had yet to make a great deal of friends.

When I walked in to Blessed Sacrament School to prepare for my first set of seventh graders, she was the very first teacher I met. She was her bubbly self and was working in the science lab getting ready for her year, also. I was planning my hallway bulletin board and explaining my theme for the beginning of the year. Even though she probably had her own things to organize, it was as though she had time only for me at that moment. Little did I know that this was the essence of Marilyn. Always in the moment, making you feel like what you are saying is the most important thing in the world.

I wish I could arrogantly say that she saves that side of her for me, but that would be a lie. She shares her generosity (and her opinion... see why we get along?) with those around her. She could find the goodness in dog poop... "Isn't it a blessing that the cycle of life continues..."

What you know first about Marilyn is that she is a family gal. She and Joe (Joe Lynn is her husband's name... scary, yes?) are perpetually visiting their children and grandchildren. However, many people are pulled in to her extended family. They are treated with as much care as her own blood relatives.

She is always a teacher. Everything has a lesson, and every lesson has God's hand in it.

She also matches my own sense of "righteous indignation." When things are unfair or unjust, her mouth is not silent.

When I spoke with her today, she had just come from golfing with her grandsons. She had a fantastic game. She sounded so much like herself, and it was a relief to hear her, as my mind was going in many directions regarding her health. She is ready for the battle. Still, it sucks, and I am really sad that she has this to fight.

I have seen Marilyn help at least two of our dear friends as they lost their battles to cancer. I know she has been by the bedside of others as well. She seems to have this peace that comes only from God. That grace helps her see all of life's natural hills and valleys where others (me) see only despair. She also knows how to do personal battle with cancer. She fought it and won before.

So, I shall pray, as that is pretty much all I can do at the moment. What to pray for? Strength, perseverance, dignity. That's a good start. Now maybe tomorrow I will figure out what I will pray for Marilyn (ha, ha, ha, ha).

No comments: