Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Go JoLynn, It's Your Birthday!

Yes, it's my birthday. The first day of my fortieth year of life. My last year in my thirties. This decade has been a crazy one. I have had four separate positions in teaching, given birth, gotten a Master's and National Board certification, had foot surgery, wrote some grants, presented some teaching info., met a fantastic set of friends and was blessed by the births of their children, sold two houses, bought two houses, became a great aunt, went to Disney World, prayed through the diagnosis of cancer in my mother, my niece, and my good friends, sprained the tendons in my foot, been diagnosed with depression, lost a dear friend, and almost worked myself to death. Busy, busy. Thank God I also prayed, right?

As far as this day is concerned, it was a pretty good one. I started off getting up early to get in to my "old" school so I could finish packing. Five hours of packing (third day of it), and I am finally finished. I threw away a ton. Packrats out there, did you know that 8 years after you took a class, you have really no need to keep the notes? I threw away (with much trepidation) my student teaching binder and notes. I feel so liberated!


Wait, wait! I really started off last night at 11:00 when I received the cutest e-card from my friend Jen. She used the music for the Austin Powers theme song, which, for a long time, was my ring tone on my cell. It cracked me up.


Anyway, I met some good friends at Ruby Tuesdays for lunch. Gotta love the salad bar. Karen gifted me, not only with lunch, but also with one of her cards which I absolutely LOVED when I saw it on her blog (check it out). I was delighted to be its recipient... not to mention some other crafty goodies that she bestowed upon me.

I came home and found a very pretty flower cake had been delivered to my house. It was from my mother. I tried to take photos that would do it justice.
The family went to Noodles & Co. for dinner. Then, my friend Kim brought over strawberry cake and vanilla ice cream. Yum! In all, not a bad way to spend my birthday.
I also received phone calls from many well wishers, including my mother, my insurance agent, my sister, and my brother. Those, and e-mails of good wishes, made my day even nicer.
What did Scott get me? He will tell you: the Nikon with which I took my pictures. I am A-OK with that answer. Works for me. :)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like you had a great day!

Bev J. said...

Congrats on your birthday. That flower cake is gorgeous and the strawberry one looks yummy! Enjoy your life and family-it goes by very fast!

Bev J. (Maxell on SCS)