Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Security

As I was packing my room, I came across a card game called "Security" that I had received for, I believe, my sixth birthday, maybe? I was (and still am) a ginormous fan of Peanuts. The game basically plays a lot like "Uno" or "Crazy Eights." The Security card is your wild card.

As I got older, the game has been close by and has taken on other meanings. I have done quite a few things involving risk in the last 20 years. I have moved far away from my family. I have taken on jobs, gotten degrees, had children. Now, here's another risk... leaving the level of child I have adored teaching for a younger level in a different school.

There are times when I would rather be Linus... curled up with my stuffed animal of choice and pretending that anything is possible as long as that animal is in my hands. An occasional thumb-sucking isn't so bad, either.

As you open the deck, the other cards convey a certain meaning, too. Snoopy, the penultimate "cool dog," is sitting back and fishing in his food bowl. The ever-frustrated Charile Brown is wearing his baseball manager's uniform and is looking, as always, downtrodden. Schroeder is chillin' on the piano. Lucy, mouth wide-open and hand on chest, is angrily arguing. Sally has her hands over her mouth and is trembling. I think I have been every one of these characters in the past several years.

I prefer Snoopy, who does not allow much to ruffle his fur. Schroeder is my second choice, as he chills to music and tunes out other distractions.

So often, however, I find myself being Lucy. Luckily, I have found only a few moments where Charlie Brown or Sally's expressions fit the situation. More often than not, I see those expressions on others.

Now, my "Security" pack will come with me to my new workplace. We will see which character this new venture brings out in me.

No comments: