Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tyler Perry

I have to admit... I rented Diary of a Mad Black Woman because of all of the snippets that showed Tyler Perry as Medea. He is hysterical. Also, my friend and colleague, Sherri, used to say the students did not want to see "angry black woman," which always made me laugh but made them cower.

Now that I have watched two of Perry's films (I viewed Medea's Family Reunion this weekend), I realize what a huge purpose he is taking on. He is trying to transform black culture through the media of film. His films have the obvious themes of praising God, loving family, and BEING family. It is obvious through several strong male characters that he is looking to push African American youth to a higher standard than many of them have for themselves. He is looking to break the cycle of single mothers having to raise children due to absentee fathers. He compels viewers to strengthen their family ties, but has a venue of interesting "caricatures" to whom, I am certain, any family can relate one or two relatives.

Don't get me wrong. I am as far from a racist as you can get. I have been working with lower income African American youth and trying to figure a way to foster a sense of pride and self-worth in them as students. I have tried many techniques, but being a white female, sometimes I just can't reach far enough. I am refreshed and thrilled to see Tyler Perry make such intentional films. There is a message in his films for all people, regardless of background or race. He is showing the world that being black is not about ghettos and gangs and foul language. The mainstream media wishes to portray this, but Perry seems to be bucking this trend.

If you would like to know more about Tyler Perry, take a peek at his website. There are movie previews you can watch and personal messages from him. His latest film is called The Family that Preys. He is fantastic.

No comments: