Sunday, April 1, 2012

Autism Awareness Month Begins

So here we are on April Fools Day.  Day 1 of sharing my reflections on parenting and teaching children with autism spectrum disorders.  I decided to go a different route this year and use the blog to relay some things of which I have become more aware since my sons were diagnosed on the autism spectrum.  Previously, I have changed my profile picture on Facebook, made a hallway bulletin board, read a book with my students which had a character with autism, and used this month as a reminder of things I know about dealing with persons with ASD but may have gotten a little sloppy doing.  I will continue these, but I have added a little more on the blog.  So here we go!


Awareness Tid Bit, Day 1:


You might hear people shying away from calling a person "autistic."  Autism is just one characteristic that defines a person on the "spectrum."  Just as I would not like to be called "four-eyed JoLynn" or "broken-legged JoLynn," the idea of weaning the public off of calling a person "autistic" helps avoid a narrow perception of his/her challenges.  Therefore, try these on for size: "persons with autism," "child with ASD," "person on the spectrum."

The graphic above helps greatly in understanding that Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) are like an umbrella.  It's not necessarily a hierarchy of diagnoses, although you might hear someone being considered "higher functioning" than someone else.  That means that person has skills that might allow better merging with societal norms.  My sons are diagnosed with autistic disorder (he's 7) and Asperger's Disorder (sometimes called Asperger's Syndrome...he's 15).  Just because someone is diagnosed as one section of the spectrum does not mean he cannot have traits from other places on the spectrum.  Each individual has a unique way of demonstrating ASD.  Hence, the acceptance of the puzzle piece as the symbol of Autism Awareness.  It is quite a puzzle!

2 comments:

J Poncin said...

Love it! Nice job JoLynn! Person-first language is something I learned about this semester. :-)

JoLynn said...

I became conscious of it only recently myself!