Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Autism Awareness Tidbit #17

Stimming is a characteristic of some persons on the spectrum.  This wiki does a nice job of defining and describing stimming.  Many times, stimming will be linked only with the hand and finger motions that sometimes accompany the behaviors of the spectrum.  I like the chart provided on the wiki:

SenseStimming Actions
VisualFlapping hands, blinking and / or moving fingers in front of eyes; staring repetitively at a light
AuditoryMaking vocal sounds; snapping fingers
TactileScratching; rubbing the skin with one's hands or with an external object
VestibularMoving body in rhythmic motion; rocking front and back or side-to-side
TasteLicking body parts; licking an object
SmellSmelling objects or hands; other people

Persons with autism are looking to experience the world in ways a bit different from what is society's norms.  I look at it like this: we all have ways of soothing ourselves.  If the sun bothers my eyes, I wear sunglasses.  If I am scared in a movie, I can grab the arm of the persons accompanying me, or look away until the scariness is over.  When I am in a hammock or rocking chair, I get sleepy because I am relaxed.  The list above are ways that needs are met for perons with ASD.  Both of my boys have had some forms of stimming.  Max's most recent stim reminds me of Mary Katherine Gallagher on SNL.  He smells his hands, especially after touching metal.  This became a little challenge when zipping coats during the winter, opening doors, and wearing jeans.  I have to say, it cracks me up, as I literally have a visual of Molly Shannon flash before my eyes every time he does it.  His brother's issues tended to be more visual and auditory.  Before we new Ignatius was on the spectrum, he would move his fingers in front of his eyes and make noises.  At that point, my best response was, "Dude, you are in public," as he would do it walking in the supermarket.  I was amazingly smooth, eh?

No comments: