Thursday, December 22, 2011

Flashback

Over the summer, a few of my pals and I dubbed ourselves the "Pinky Swear" ladies.  We are all teachers, and we were all bemoaning the scurrying summer months as we sat by a good friend's pool.  We reflected on the fact that this stretch of time each summer is a wonderful gift which very few professions have.  I remember pondering, about two weeks before school began, as we let "we only have two more weeks" slip through our lips, that the two weeks of Winter Break seem like a blessed gift from God, and we should try to make the last two weeks of summer "feel" like the two weeks of Winter Break.

Here we are, months later, at the start of the coveted two weeks of Winter Break.  The first half of our school year is over.  Report cards for second quarter will be completed over this break.  Plans for serious ISAT prep will happen as we return.  But, for now, these fourteen days are precious and it feels great to have a break.  My goal is to document, at least here if not in scrapbook form, how we spend our days.

Today was my first day of "break."  Here's a run down of the day:
  • For whatever reason, I was able to sleep until about 9:45 AM.  What a blessing!
  • A friend called me a little after 10 to tell me she was engaged.  That was very good news.  I have constantly called her guy a "keeper."  He is incredibly thoughtful of her.  I continually asked, after every trip or special evening, if a ring was involved, and this time, it was!
  • I traveled out to get my teeth taken care of at the Foehr Group.  Three teeth drilled, two temporary crowns, lots of novacaine.  I had already broken one of the teeth, so it was a much needed visit.  I found out that Dr. Foehr, my previous dentist who recently retired, has ALS, which is manifesting itself first in his throat.  He is unable to speak, communicating through his iPad.  He recently had a feeding tube put in.  Dr. Foehr is a great guy, and I hate that this is happening to him.  
  • I went to Lincoln Leisure and, still quite numb in the mouth, shook my boom boom at Zumba.  Good times were had by all.
  • We had a lovely dinner of carry out Olive Garden, sponsored partially by a gift card from one of my students.  Where I teach, those types of gift cards are few and far between, so I was really touched by the thoughtfulness of this parent.
  • Ignatius and I ventured out to Hobby Lobby.  I needed adhesive for the "Holiday Cards" that might eventually get made by me before 2012.  We bought some latch hook kits, inspired by a conversation I had with some younger colleagues regarding latch hook (and their blank stares as I mentioned it).  I figured it would be nice for him to learn something crafty from his old ma, and for him to have something non-electronic for passing the time.  He took to it pretty nicely.  Max was VERY interested in it as well, and wanted to help in any way he could.
  • As the night wound down, and the children finally went to bed, I began wrapping the gifts that have been needing attention.  I packed a box that will finally be heading to PA (hopefully FedEx tomorrow). Truly, I only have a few other odds and ends to get together, and then I think we're set. 
Now, it's really Friday, but I am backdating this.  Friday will have a narrative all its own.  To bed!

No comments: