Thursday, December 29, 2011

An Instragram Metaphor

Head on over to my crafty blog to read of my pursuits with Cathy Zielske's 2012 Move More, Eat Well scrapbook/life class.

So, I shot this photo with my iPhone before I ate lunch today, as it looked so tasty.


If you have used the Instagram app, you know that, once you snap the shot, you have an abundance of action choices, which is what is nice about the app.  Some of these actions would take either forever to come up with on Photoshop (if you are an amateur like myself), or forever to search for and try out via wonderful people who post them (and at times charge for them) on the web.  Instagram puts it all there, and you can browse through what its different actions do to your picture.

My mind went a little overboard with this today.  Some of the actions made the food look downright revolting, others washed out the brilliance of the colors, and still others found that right balance to make this look as appealing as it looked to me.  And, isn't that life?  Sometimes, we sabotage our abilities to eat well with the "actions" that go on in our own minds. We say, "Ugh, I have to eat a salad today for lunch."  This salad was made with Butter Bliss lettuce (I love this stuff a little too much), baked ham from Christmas, a sprinkling of shredded cheddar, and my own dressing (a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, a tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 packet of Truvia, a bit of oregano, and a bit of garlic powder).  I also had a banana and some water with a bit of lemon juice.  Everything tasted delightful, yet my attitude could have harmed its taste.  It's all the perspective through which I look at this.

Move More, Eat Well will, I think, be a continuation for me, not a beginning. That helps, too.  I am not starting up some crazy January 1 thing, only to be pissed by January 9.  It's a documentation of what is already true, and an accountability to myself.  Plus Scott's doing it with me.  Which is awesome.  More later.  Gotta go to Zumba. :)

No comments: